On the local Fox affiliate here in Cincinnati (or da Nasty Nati), there is a program aired here Saturday mornings called On The Spot. I’ve caught it a couple of times when the little man wakes up early and wants a bottle. I flip on the TV and there it is.
The show is basically this bald-headed dude that goes out on the streets of LA and asks random people basic questions that the average person SHOULD know. Now, if the average person actually knew the answer to most of these questions, this show probably wouldn’t be on the air. One episode I saw confirmed the reports I’d seen in the news recently that Americans know absolutely NOTHING about geography. The topic of the episode was American geography. Something that every American should be somewhat familiar with. I will list below some of the questions I heard and then some of the most idiotic responses to said questions:
1. What are the three biggest countries in North America?
- Isn’t North America a country?
2. Aside from Hawaii, what are the other four US states that touch the Pacific Ocean?
- Hawaii (read the questions again if you don’t know why this is a stupid answer…please know why this is a stupid answer without looking back at the question)
- Most people got California, Washington, and Oregon, but then totally forgot Alaska existed.
3. What is the western most state?
- New York, wait, which way is west?
There were many other questions and many more stupid answers, but these were the ones that stuck in my head and made me fear for all humanity.
Please stop being stupid Americans, you people are the reason the rest of the world doesn’t respect us.