Dearest Melanie, I’m sorry that I missed this prompt the other day. Please forgive me. To compensate for my failure, I have entitled this post “A Nickel Short of Dollar,” because I’m obviously not all there.
Now that I have suitably humiliated myself, I shall do as you say and find the first coin that I can and tell you about my year.
I’m at work, currently, and cannot dig through my couch cushions or the floor of my car. I certainly don’t carry a purse, or even a murse. I do, however, keep spare change in my drawer for when I get the munchies (no, I don’t smoke) and need a vending machine to save me.
I pulled the drawer open and found a quarter and three dimes waiting for me. Yeee! I’m rich! Seriously, though, I chose the quarter as to not be unfair to two of the dimes. My quarter had the year 2002 emblazoned on it.
I can honestly say I don’t remember much of anything that happened that year. The twins were two years old. I was 25. We lived in our own house, which we couldn’t afford. I believe we actually filed for bankruptcy at the end of 2002 because the independent loan broker couldn’t get us refinanced like he promised us he could. Who knew you couldn’t trust an independent loan broker? Go figure. But, live and learn. And learn I did.
I spent the majority of 2002 working and taking care of children. The twins and my (then) step-children, to be precise. My ex-wife was working full-time and going to college. While she earned an accounting degree, I played Mr. Mom. I was cooking, cleaning, kid-wrangling, changing two stinky asses, helping with homework, and all the other fun stuff a parent is responsible to do.
So it looks like 2002 was a particularly bland year. I’m sure I had all sorts of fun with the twins because I loved playing with them, but for the life of me I can’t remember one single thing that happened and that sucks. I never had a video camera until 2006 and that is one thing I would go back in time and change if I could. I would love to have video of the twins as infants and toddlers. They were soooo much fun at those ages. Not to say that they’re not fun now, but it’s different. They’re young men now. Young men with smart ass mouths that they most certainly didn’t inherit from me.
So here we are. That wonderful part of the post where I ask for audience participation. What was 2002 like for you, dearest reader? Did something of consequence actually happen to you that year? Or was it just the mundane day-to-day existence like I lived?
- While proof reading this post, I found that I had typed couch cousins instead of couch cushions. I can’t even imagine what the hell I was thinking as I typed that.
Check out these other great Daily Prompt posts
- 2002 Me «Natalie Elizabeth Beech Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | بيسان
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Year 2003 | Scribbled Scribble
- Lacklustre. | jaycee68
- Daily Post: Buffalo Nickel | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Am I Obsessed With 1962? | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Daily Prompt: Time After Time | One Starving Activist
- –2004– | ayimas
- A Quarter from 1994 | Now Writing Every Day
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel « TheDeafia
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel 2007 | lena de almeida
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | A Hedonistic Wander
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Purple Rosemary
- 1994 Again « Sorta-Ginger
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Basically Beyond Basic
- When One Is Lost, Many Will Come | Chasing The Bubble
- Buffalo Nickel | The Nameless One
- In the year 2525…or maybe it was 1979 | Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel – Young men jackassery. | don of all trades
- 2006, a year of change | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel…. 2000 | Queenie
- Part 3 of 5: Model the Way | A life inspired – Sandra Harriette
- Twenty Five Cent Elk | Breathing Space
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel – 2006 Dime | tirochelle
- Buffalo Nickel | This Is My Corn
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Moonlight Reflections
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Musical Foodie Love
- A little perspective … | Playing for Time
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Venom’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Joe’s Musings
- I’m rich! (In worthless old currency, that is) | the importance of being serbian
- Buffalo Nickel | Ramblin’ On
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Scraps of Life
- Hands: Heads or Tails? | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Living Wonderously
- 2007: Tears of Joy, Tears of Fear | The Daily Prompt | To Stay Alive
- Daily prompt: buffalo nickel (or ‘Gathering like Waterbuffalo in 1996′) | Empressnasigoreng’s Blog
- Mike Sensitivity
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Learning, Running, and Writing
- Boys named Daniel | Polyprotic Amory
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- Buffalo Nickel: 2004 | Drama Queen Under the Sun
- The Quiet One | No flying cars…just a whole new life
- I’ve Got the Music in Me–and Oh, How it Moves Me! – Part 3. | Our Heritage: 12th Century & Beyond
- In 1995… | The Silver Lining of the Optimistic Pessimist
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel | baka’s blog
- Daily Prompt: 1980 Memories | Writing Canvas
- 1990 | Things I See and Know
- This Is How A Life Changes | Precarious
- A Day Late and a Buffalo Nickel Short | rarasaur
- Daily Prompt: Buffalo Nickel – 2007 | Caring and Creating