- North Korea has issued a very specific threat to South Korea: we will “reduce all the rat-like groups and the bases for provocations to ashes in three or four minutes, (or) in much shorter time, by unprecedented peculiar means and methods of our own style.” WTF? Why? What provocation do they have? Why does this country insist on being so belligerent? Can’t we all just get along?
- According to this article, half of all college graduates are either unemployed or underemployed. College is currently the biggest scam going right now. They encourage students to pursue degrees that have no practical use while charging tens of thousands of dollars per year to attain these useless degrees. Then, the students are left with no employment prospects after graduation and huge loans to pay off. Plus, federal bankruptcy protection does not protect you from student loans so there’s no relief from this debt. Sadly, I’ve heard little talk about this issue during all of the political debates recently. It’s something that needs to be addressed.
- Sanford, FL Police Chief Bill Lee attempted to tender his resignation, but city council voted to reject it. Lee was widely criticized for failing to arrest George Martin the night he shot and killed Trayvon Martin and voluntarily stepped aside recently because he deemed himself a distraction to the investigation due to the publicity of the case by the national media. I can’t help wondering here: who on earth can an employer refuse to let you quit?
- Well, here’s a candidate for teacher of the year. Manuael Ernest Dillow, a welding teacher at a vocational school in Virginia, asked his students to form a single line. Once they had done so, he whipped out a gun and fired several blank rounds at them. He has obviously been removed from the school and is being charged with multiple felonies. Dillow’s reasoning for this idiotic display has not yet been released.
What was this supposed to accomplish? No matter what point he was trying to drive home, how on earth would this have help? How is scaring the shit out of your students good for them? What a tool.
- Here’s a politician in the making. Angie Gomez told all of her high school friends that she had leukemia and she only had six months to live. She set up her own foundation, “Achieve the Dream Foundation,” and raised $17,000 for it. Her high school even had another prom in her honor as she was too “sick” to attend the regular prom. She has been found out, though. She doesn’t have cancer and has been arrested. Her lawyer defends her actions by saying the money was actually going to be used for good causes and that Gomez did have multiple health issues as a child. How nice for her. That doesn’t excuse duping people into donating their hard-earned money to a charity set up under a disreputable guise. If she was only interested in raising money to help others, why did she let the school throw another prom for her? If she wanted to help others who are less fortunate, why not just say that? Does she believe people are so callous that they would only help if she was dying? This little girl needs to go away for a little while and do some time. There’s no place for behavior like this anywhere, let alone in this country.
- Daniela Palaez, an 18-year old valedictorian, is facing deportation because she’s in the country illegally and is upset that the DREAM Act doesn’t provide a path to citizenship. While I agree that our path to citizenship isn’t easy and could stand to be made easier, that doesn’t excuse breaking our laws and entering or staying in the country illegally. Quite frankly, I don’t believe any law should provide illegal immigrants a chance for citizenship as you’ve already shown you’re willing to break our laws. We already have enough criminals in this country, thank you.
- Wal-Mart has bribed its way into Mexico, a report alleges. Is anyone really surprised here? While we would love for our businesses to act ethically they never do. Sadly, this is not shocking to me, nor to anyone else, I suspect.
- Matt Owens, a white guy, was assaulted and beaten nearly to death after getting on some kids for blocking the street while playing basketball the other day. A group of 20 blacks beat him with pipes, bricks, and paint cans. He is now in critical condition. A witness said that after the beating, one of the men claimed, “Now that’s justice for Trayvon.”
Really? Did Matt Owens kill Trayvon? No he didn’t. This makes me sick. These idiots undoubtedly think they did something worthy and something to be proud of but all they really did is show that they are the same monsters they think George Zimmerman is. This idiocy needs to stop. Events like these do nothing to ease racial tensions.
Also, I’d like to see Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson come out and condemn these attacks, but I won’t hold my breath.
- I’m slightly disturbed by this one. According to this article, sex-for-hire robots will be all the rage in 2050. The research cites among the reasons why this is a good thing things such as human trafficking, STD’s, and guilt-free sex so people don’t have to lie to their spouses. While the reduction in human trafficking and STD’s are noble goals, I can’t believe that people would be willing to bang a robot, especially one that has already been around the block. Also, I don’t buy the guilt-free thing. Unless your spouse is not capable of having sex, why wouldn’t you be having sex with him or her?
- A Chinese company has name a new line of sunglasses after Helen Keller. Classy. That would be just like naming a new line of earrings after Vincent Van Gogh.
- Wow. Mommy Porn? Porn made for women by women? Mommy porn apparently is a mix between a romance movie and soft porn. And women apparently love it. I’m actually speechless.
- The Heart Attack Grill strikes again. This time a woman had a heart attack while
attackingeating a Double Bypass burger. In his restaurant’s defense, however, the owner claimed that she was also smoking and drinking a margarita. Right. Why do people eat at this place?
- Here is yet another reason not to do anything when doing anything with your cell phone. Watch and learn.
- Anders Behring Breivik described in detail for the court in Norway how he carried out his killing spree last July. The testimony is gruesome and disturbing, but that’s not the reason I’m sharing this link. Per the article, the main goal of the trial is to determine Breivik’s sanity. If insane he’ll naturally be committed to a psychiatric ward. If found sane he’ll face a maximum of 21 years in prison. Let me repeat. If he’s found sane, he faces a maximum of 21 years in prison. Only 21 years for killing 77 people? That’s almost a quarter of a year for each person he killed. Sane or insane this guy is a menace to society and whatever they find out about his sanity should be irrelevant. He should not be set free for the rest of his life, whether it’s to protect others or as punishment for his crimes.
- Some woman in New Zealand died of a heart attack at 30-years old in 2010. Cited among the many reasons that contributed to her heart attack was the woman’s Coke habit. No, not cocaine. Coca Cola. She allegedly drank between 2.1 and 2.6 gallons of Coke per day. Gallons!! Folks, my family of 5 doesn’t go through that many gallons of milk in a week, let alone pop (or soda or whatever it’s called where you live). Un-fucking-believable.
- There’s a museum in Big Rapids, Michigan that features racist artifacts. You just can’t make this stuff up. The Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia claims it has amassed the “nation’s largest public collection of artifacts spanning the segregation era, from Reconstruction until the civil rights movement, and beyond.” Wow. Are they proud of this? Who would be interested in seeing this? Why would you want to look at evidence of the sorriest chapter in American history?
- Annie Clark, a 7-year-old born without hands has been awarded a national award for penmanship. The girl is somehow not only able to write, but write wonderfully gripping a pen between both of her forearms and manipulating it. What an amazing little girl.
- Ted Nugent was interviewed by the Secret Service after the idiot said, at an NRA meeting of all places, “If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year.” The Secret Service concluded that there is no threat and the matter has been resolved. There has been no word yet on who will pick up the tab for the hookers.
- At George Zimmerman’s bond hearing, his wife testified that he’s not a violent man. I obviously don’t know George
at allas well as she does, but doesn’t shooting and killing someone kind of negate your assertion that he’s not violent?
- I know I shouldn’t find this funny, but I do. 16 Amish men and women have been indicted for…beard and hair-cutting attacks against other Amish. Apparently in Amish culture it’s taboo for woman to cut their hair and men must stop shaving once they’re married. There was apparently some kind of religious disagreement that provoked the attacks (why does this seem familiar?) in which hair was cut against the will of the victims. Like I said, I shouldn’t find this funny but the idea of some Amish holding some other Amish down and cutting their hair is just hilarious.
- The so-called “personhood” bill in Oklahoma, which would give embryos full rights as a person (and thus making abortion a crime) failed before the Republican controlled state could vote on it. And here I thought it would be the Supreme Court striking it down.
- A Pakistani-born baby born with 6 legs had them all (the extra appendages) successfully removed by a team of 5 doctors. There’s a picture of the baby before surgery if you click here. It’s kind of freaky looking. I hope the baby recovers successfully and has a long, normal life.
- Homosexuality is apparently frowned upon in Japan, too. I love how they accuse a commercial of “encouraging homosexuality.” Like people have a choice. Like I could be completely straight until I saw that commercial and then turn gay. People have no control over what gender they’re attracted to, folks. Let’s get past this already.
- This article is just sad. It starts out by saying “A prominent U.S. Catholic nuns’ group said on Thursday it was “stunned” that the Vatican reprimanded it for spending too much time on poverty and social justice concerns and not enough on abortion and gay marriage.” How typical. Yes, let’s quit helping the poor and addressing social injustice so we can tell everyone what they already know: the Catholic Church is against abortion and gay marriage. This just in: the sky is blue, water is wet, and shit stinks. These nuns were shocked to hear the Vatican’s assessment and I don’t blame them. They’re priorities were, and are, fine.
- Why the hell would the birth of a child cost $1 million anywhere? That is just freaking ridiculous.
- Here’s a list of the best anti-aging products you can get for under $20. Query: Why is everyone so ashamed of their age? Everyone gets older. Accept it and get over it. Enjoy your life instead of freaking out because of a fucking wrinkle.
- Hey, did you know that J-Lo wore a neon dress out in public or that Clay Aiken had plastic surgery? Who gives a shit? Honestly, why is this news?
- Here is a list of 9 things you should never say to your boss. Noticeably absent were such phrases as:
- Fuck you.
- That’s not my job.
- Get off your ass and do it yourself.
- You’re an idiot.
- Why do you make more than me when you don’t even know how to do my job?
- What are you doing over here? Is Facebook down?
- Last week, Spike Lee retweeted what he thought was George Zimmerman’s address. It was actually the address of an elderly couple who now fear for their lives. What I can only assume Lee was trying to do was to get someone over to Zimmerman’s house for some vigilante justice. I understand the anger this case has fueled, but honestly, how is doing what Lee did any different from what Zimmerman allegedly did? You’re condoning the same actions for which you are upset at Zimmerman. Hypocrite. People need to settle down and let the authorities do their jobs.
- Wow, sometimes stupidity is amazing. Some idiot in Austria who felt he was too sick to work and didn’t like the jobs he was being offered cut off his own foot with a mitre saw in an attempt to get unemployment benefits. What an idiot. I hope this guy gets declined for the benefits as this is obviously fraud. This is so stupid I just don’t know what else to even say about it.
- A Denver dad whose 12-year old son stole from him is forcing his son to spend spring break holding a sign in public that says he’s a thief. Bravo, dad. We need more parents with the courage to discipline their children. Unfortunately, this article got some comments from some idiotic psychiatrist who disagrees with the father’s discipline. “The taking-responsibility part is cool, but the rest of this is not cool,” Florida psychologist James Huysman told the paper. “This is about shame. In the old days, we used to just shame people, hang signs around their necks in public.” Huysman said Jose is too young to gain any “insight” from the punishment. First of all, yes it is about shame. If you’re a thief you should be ashamed of it. Secondly, for this idiot to suggest that the child is too young to gain any “insight” from the punishment is an insult to the child. My children are 12 and best believe if they received this punishment they would understand why they received it and why what they did was wrong. Psychiatrists in general are more a detriment to society than helpful I think. They are the reason we are always looking elsewhere for blame instead of where the blame should lie. It’s always someone else’s fault, right doc?
- So, a church will invite you to its service if you’ve drowned and killed all of your children, but will refuse to give communion to a lesbian because living with another woman is “a sin.” What. The. Fuck. Now, I know the priest who publicly denied the lesbian communion was punished, but the church said that he was punished for other actions, not for his (mis)handling of the lesbian. What does it say about the church that it values murderers over gay people?
- As I predicted when I heard about this law initially, a judge has struck down an Oklahoma law requiring women to have an ultrasound before having an abortion. As I have also stated in the past, I am against abortion but give it up people. It’s legal and it’s never going to change. There are more important things to worry about.
- Well, it appears that Christian oppression has exists beyond our borders. A Filipino high school student was banned from attention graduation ceremonies at her Catholic school for posting a picture online in which she has a cigarette and is holding a bottle of liquor. This is apparently immoral. Where exactly does it say in the Bible that you can’t smoke or drink?
- From the “what the fuck is wrong with people?” file, here is a 76-year old man who shot his 49-year old wife and his two dogs because one of the dogs shit on the floor. Really? Is that a valid reason to even punch somebody, let alone kill them? What an idiot.
- The US government has paid $50,000 to the families of each of the victim in the killing spree allegedly authored by Robert Bales. I’m sure that will comfort them….
- A “family friend” says that George Zimmerman couldn’t stop crying after he murdered Trayvon Martin. Yeah, sure he couldn’t. If he had just stayed in his car like the 911 operator instructed him to do none of this would have ever happened. That man deserves whatever comes to him.
- Friends of George Zimmerman fear for his safety, as well they should. The “New Black Panthers” have put a $10,000 out to find him since he seems to have disappeared. If I had killed someone in cold blood, I’d probably be in hiding, too.
- Query: Are Miley Cyrus & Liam Hemsworth Engaged? Answer: Who cares?
- The wife of Robert Bales says there’s no way he could have perpetrated those killings. Sure he couldn’t have. So then why did he turn himself in with his hands high immediately upon returning to the base? It’s always hard to believe a loved one could do something as heinous as what Bales “allegedly” did, but you have to look at the facts here. The most important of which, is that he turned himself in for the crimes.
- Upon being repeatedly questioned about his statement that Romney is the “worst Republican ever,” Santorum uttered that the questions were bullshit and claimed that his comments were distorted. Stay classy, Santorum. If you can’t keep your composure on the campaign trail how are you going to do it once in office?
- An abuse trail is set to begin in in Pennsylvania today, in which the prosecution is set to prove how the Roman Catholic Church buried allegations against priests for molesting children. When this kind of shit is covered up by the church, why should we listen to them when they try to act as the moral police for all of society and tell us we’re going to Hell? You guys sit up on a pedestal and tell the world that being gay is a sin yet covered up the abuse of children by your own priests? Sure, I may go to Hell, but you’ll be the ones welcoming me.
- It’s sad that in this day in age, that a black man still has to explain to his son how not to upset the white man. Why do we all hate?
- Well, it appears that the US isn’t the only place where bigotry resides. A couple dozen white supremacists were forced to flee their white pride demonstration when over 100 anti-racist protesters showed up. Can somebody please explain to me what makes white people better than other races, because I sure don’t see it.
- Dick Cheney apparently had a heart transplant over the weekend prompting many to say, “How do you replace something that wasn’t there?”
- Charlie Sheen has “tiger blood” and “Adonis DNA.” And surprisingly little brain power.
- Saying “winning” all the time does not make it so.
- The rapture will happen on May 21, 2011…uh, I mean, October 21, 2011…shit, I mean…eh, nevermind.
- Professional athletes are just as greedy as the owners
- Muammar Gaddafi and Osama Bin Laden can be killed.
- No matter what we do, we cannot tame mother nature. Earthquakes and tsunamis ravaged many parts of the world
- People are willing to fight (literally) for a pair of Jordans, or pepper spray others to get that special black Friday item.
- People will riot if their hockey team loses in the Stanley Cup finals, or if British police shoot a known drug dealer.
- Institutions of higher learning will try to hide things (such as sexual assault by their employees) to keep the institution from looking bad. It works, until everyone finds out about it. Then they look way worse than they would have if they hadn’t hidden it.
- The NCAA is not consistent with their sanctions.
- Peacefully protesting can get you pepper-sprayed by the police
- Holidays aren’t sacred anymore
- The Madden curse is real (Peyton Hillis believes now)
- Obama will get re-elected because the Republicans are all stupid. Either way, we all lose.
- Beavis and Butthead still kick ass
- There is a Hispanic Heritage month. Who knew?
- There is actually a drink called ‘frog juice’ made from frogs. Ew…
- Photo fads such as planking, owling, and tebowing exist…and are dumb
- People are pissed off at illegal immigrants
- A women’s penitentiary in Brazil has a beauty pageant for the inmates housed there.
- Fans will attack and even shoot fans of other teams…but only in California
- Other fans will die trying to get a souvenir baseball
- Really fanatic fans will cover their entire legs with a tattoo of John Elway
- The CEO of Netflix is really, really stupid
- Declaring your team the “dream team” before the season starts is pretty moronic and will inevitably blow up in your face
- PETA is more deranged than the far, far right-wing assholes
- Ryan Dunn was a jackass
- People paid to sing the National Anthem at the biggest sporting event on the planet don’t necessarily know the words to it
- Lindsay Lohan will pose naked if her career sinks low enough
- Tweeting a picture of your wiener is bad social etiquette
- The “Governator” had a kid with a woman not named Shriver and managed to hide it for over a decade
- Ending a marriage you earned millions of dollars for after 72 days invites criticism
- Trying to auction off a senate seat will land you in jail. Who knew?
- Middle Eastern dictators are going down like dominoes
- Royal weddings are a big deal for some reason
- Occupy Wall Street will clog everything up….until it gets cold out.
- When another celebrity dies from an overdose people will freak out, cry, and act like they knew that person in their ridiculous grief
I just finished reading this article on Yahoo about a doctor who says that in the very near future we will have the medical technology to keep people alive for up to 150 years. He goes on to state that within the next 20 to 30 years we’ll have the medical technology to keep people alive for 1000 years.
All skepticism aside, is anyone thinking of what would happen to this planet if we keep reproducing at the rate we are and people STOP dying? Over population is already a HUGE problem on this planet. Where would everyone live? How would we feed them? How much faster would we run out of non-replenishable resources if this comes to fruition?
I’m reminded of a great quote from the movie Jurassic Park:
Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should – Dr. Ian Malcolm
While this technology will benefit “the few”, “the many” will suffer for it, I think. At what point has technology advanced too far? When is enough enough? Would it be great to live forever? Sure. Is it practical? No. Is it selfish? Most definitely. Is it detrimental to society? I believe so, unless we’re somehow able to colonize the moon (or something) and find a renewable supply of resources.
I think we need to back off on this technology until we can implement it practically.
I would like to preface this post by making it clear that I am in no way racist. This country, unfortunately, still has race issues it’s trying to work out and it’s evident when browsing the web and reading the comments on blogs and news sites. That being said, everyone has an opinion on that state of race relations today.
Yesterday, a federal appeals court ruled that an amendment to Michigan’s constitution “prohibiting Affirmative Action” was unconstitutional. I’m really not sure how it’s unconstitutional. The relevant text of the amendment is below:
- The University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, and any other public college or university, community college, or school district shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.
- The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.
Now, unless I’m reading that wrong, that text states that NO ONE, no matter what gender or color, it to be discriminated against nor given preferential treatment. Isn’t that the ultimate goal? That people look past the outside to what’s inside? Shouldn’t universities and employers be taking your qualifications into consideration instead of your race or gender? Wasn’t that Martin Luther King’s dream?
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I don’t know how Dr. King’s dream will ever be realized as long as Affirmative Action exists. It encourages the consideration of race and gender instead of education and skills when hiring. It encourages universities to look at ethnicity and gender instead of test scores and grades when reviewing a college application.
A company I used to work for had quotas for minority and female managers. I don’t remember the exact percentages they had to meet, but it sobered me and woke me up to where we still are as a country today. To make things worse at this company, the managers were expected to work an ungodly amount of hours, including weekends and holidays. It was tough to find anyone interested in these positions. Those smart enough to know what they would be getting into didn’t want the job. As a result, this company was forced to promote and hire people that were unqualified for the job just to meet their quotas. People who were qualified and willing to take the position were looked over so that the company’s quota was met. I can’t speak for other companies, but I can only imagine that a lot of companies face similar predicaments. This weakens our companies, and consequently, our economy.
Many detractors of Michigan’s amendment say that the law violates the “equal protection” clause in the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. The relevant text is below:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
The last part of the text is what really caught my attention: equal protection of the laws. That, in my interpretation, means that a law should be applied the same way to every citizen equally. I’m not a politician or a lawyer, but the way I understand this clause means that any law that gives one race (or races) rights that it doesn’t give to another race is unconstitutional. I don’t know how we are to ever have equality when some races have more rights than other races.
I personally don’t see anything wrong with the amendment Michigan passed. I thinks it’s only fair that people be considered for jobs and school based on merit and not on their race or gender, but that’s just my humble opinion. Others obviously disagree…
It looks like we have a long way to go before this country will truly be whole. Race relations are much better today than they were in Martin Luther King’s day, but some people just have a hard time letting go of old prejudices and grudges.
Ohio governor John Kasich signed a bill today which, among other things, allows people with a conceal/carry licenses to carry their firearms (concealed) into bars.
Let’s retrace the steps of pure stupidity here. First, this law had to be proposed by someone. Then it had to be voted on by the state’s representatives. Then, it’s signed by the governor. There’s a whole lot of stupid people involved here, apparently.
I understand that Republicans are pro-guns and that Ohio is now controlled by Republicans, but it still surprises me that no one (or maybe not enough people) realized that mixing guns and alcohol is a bad idea. To it’s credit, the law stipulates that the person carrying the weapon cannot consume alcohol while carrying the weapon. Great. Wait…who goes to a bar and DOESN’T DRINK? This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of. Is this their loophole for allowing guns into bars?
Fortunately, establishments still have the right to ban conceal weapons at their own discretion. Hopefully every bar in Ohio exercises that right. Even if, by some miracle, someone carrying a concealed weapon does happen to go to a bar and not drink, that doesn’t mean that a different drunk person at the bar won’t start trouble.
This is just a bad idea all the way around. I understand the constitution grants all Americans the right to bare arms, but I think some common sense should be used here. I’m afraid it’s only a matter of time before something terribly bad happens because of this law.
According to this MSNBC article, a Michigan man is facing time in jail for logging into his wife’s email account looking for evidence of infidelity.
Really? Do you know how many people look at other people’s email? We’d all be in jail if this was the intent of the law. The specific law that he allegedly violated deals with “hackers intent on making money or mayhem (editor’s note: like me)” per the article. How does this law apply to this man? Furthermore, should this even be a crime? A husband has power of attorney for his wife and vice versa. He can legally sign documents for her. Does that preclude looking at her email? I don’t think it does.
Furthermore, how is snooping in someone’s email any different than having a PI follow your spouse around and taking pictures or looking at someone’s Facebook page? Any of that information can be used against someone in court, or to fire someone from their job. Don’t look at their emails, though. That’s will get your thrown in jail.
Say my wife opens a letter addressed to her and leaves it on the desk. I pick it up wondering what it is? Does THAT get me five years in prison? I sure as hell hope not.
I work on the assumption (and so should everyone) that everything that’s put on the internet can be found. Including emails. If a person is tech savvy enough, they will find anything you try to hide. Even though my Facebook profile is private and only my “Friends” can see it, I don’t use that as carte blanche to put anything I want up there. I know there are ways around that and if I put something up there I don’t want certain people to see they will find out about it. In the event that I have to look for a job again I don’t want them finding pictures of me drunk throwing up all over the place..or something. Not that there are such pictures, of course..
If this woman was having an affair, she shouldn’t be able to get away with it on a technicality which is basically all this is. It’s like the entrapment defense, which I also find stupid and I don’t understand how it’s legal. People in this country need to start taking responsibility for their actions and accept the consequences of them instead of trying to get out of everything on technicalities and cheating. This man should not go to jail and the case shouldn’t even be heard. As her husband he had a right to know if she was cheating on him and she obviously wasn’t going to tell him she was.
Another thing to consider is if this man gets convicted and goes to jail that’s opening the floodgates for this to be used in every divorce case. We don’t have the jail space or the money in the country to tie up courts and attornies with this type of crap. There are already voilent crminals that get released early because of a lack of room in jails. What’s going to happen if people start getting thrown in jail for looking at someone else’s emails?
This case needs to be thrown out immediately before more stupidity follows. There’s already too much stupidity in this country today and we need to stop it where and when we can.