I didn’t know who Luis V. Gutierrez was before I read this article (he’s a Democratic
senator representative from Illinois), but in addition to now knowing who he is I know an additional fact about him: he’s stupid.
Per the linked article, Gutierrez is using idiotic commentary to voice his displeasure with the Arizona immigration law. He used Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez as his defense. Seriously. Here’s what he had to say:
“I’m sure Justin helped Gomez learn American customs and feel more at home in her adopted country. Oh, wait a minute, I’m sorry. Because I’m not a trained Arizona official, I somehow got that backwards. Actually, Ms. Gomez of Texas has helped Mr. Bieber of Canada learn about his adopted country. Justin, when you perform in Phoenix, remember to bring your papers.”
Yes, Justin, remember to bring your papers. Seriously. You’re required by Federal law, not state law, to do so.
Dear, Mr. Gutierrez, no one is training Arizona officials or police officers to be able to look at a person and tell whether or not they’re in this country illegally. That’s one of the dumbest rebuttals to this law I’ve heard to date. All they’ve been given is the ability to ask for proof of citizenship. That’s it. If you’re a citizen or legal immigrant this law will only inconvenience you for the two seconds it takes to whip out your wallet and pull out your ID or green card.
I’m baffled by all of the people who oppose this law that turn it into a racial profiling issue. Nowhere does it state that this law applies only to Latinos. The law gives police officers the right to ask anybody for proof of citizenship during routine police business. Routine being if you’re pulled over for speeding. Or you’re involved in a bar fight. Or the cops are called to your house for some reason or another. Or you’ve witnessed an accident. Or whatever other routine things cops do on a daily basis.
This does not give police carte blanche to just start pulling over Latinos and asking for papers. They must be there for some other legitimate reason first before they can ask for them.
This law does not specify that only Latinos can be asked for their papers, and I’m kind of tired of people, Latinos in particular, thinking that this law is directed at them. Plenty of people from plenty of other countries try to sneak into our country as well. Mostly using the same paths that immigrants from Mexico use.
Honestly, the only people that need to worry about this law are the people who are in this country illegally. Everybody else will just show the cop their ID, green card, or driver’s license and will have a nice rest of the afternoon.
Get real, people.
- Pop Quiz: Who’s the Immigrant, Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez? (newsfeed.time.com)
- On House Floor, Rep. Luis Gutierrez Rails Against AZ Law With ‘Guess Who’s The Immigrant’ Quiz (mediaite.com)
- Who Is The Immigrant: Justin Bieber Or Selena Gomez? (thinkprogress.org)
- Bieber, Gomez on the House floor (politico.com)
- Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez Brought Into Congress Debate Over Immigration (VIDEO) (gossipcop.com)
- Rep. Gutierrez warns Canadian Justin Bieber to bring papers to Arizona (rawstory.com)
- A Congressman Used Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez To Make A Point About The Arizona Immigration Law (businessinsider.com)
- Bad Ass Congressman Attacks AZ Immigration Law … Using Justin Bieber (tmz.com)